Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Day of Sheer fun

I spent yesterday in NYC. More specifically, I spent several hours at The American Girl Place. For those of you who have no idea what the American Girl Place is, you are truly missing one of the greatest experiences for girls ages 3 to 99. I started planning this day last fall when Karen was very sick. I realized she would never have the time to do these special things with her girls and why should I wait until the "perfect time" to give this experience to my daughter? By next year, she may not like dolls - I sure as heck hope not, but it's always a possibility. I don't know what the future holds, but I definitely thought a fun day with a few friends would be a great memory for Trinks.

We (6 eager adventurists) left the great state of Delaware at the crazy hour 6 something. By 7 something we dropped the guys in South Jersey, picked up my mother in law and continued to Central NJ to meet the rest of the crew at my sister's house. All assembled, we folded 11 of us into two Oddyseys and headed to NYC. I DROVE INTO THE CITY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY 36 YEARS!!!!!! Now, it was pretty early, and not arround Christmas time, so there really shouldn't have been any issues, but I still am pretty proud of the accomplishement.

Our first order of business was lunch at 11. We browsed the 3rd floor and then headed into the absolutely gorgeous dining room. We were given chairs for our dolls. Apparently they don't have many parties that have 11 dolls. Once we all were seated (dolls included) we were served warm cinnamon buns. Then came a tray of veggies, fruit and appetizers. Even the entrees were incredible! The absolute best part had to be the dessert. While the cake was amazing, the peppermint ice cream was the show stealer. It was served in a tiny flower pot with a daisy stuck in the middle of it.



After lunch, we saw the Circle of Friends show. It was in a small theater and we were up close to the performers. Even the adults enjoyed it. The show took pieces from the different American Girl stories and set it to music, while weaving a modern theme into it. I bought the cd and we listened to it again in the car on the way home. Of course we had to shop before we headed back to NJ for dinner.

By dinner we all were a bit tired. Europa is a great find in the middle of nowhere!! It is right between exit 8 and 8A on the New Jersey Turnpike. By cake time (thanks for making cake AND cupcakes, Mom!) the kids were running wild. It was definitely time to go home and pass out. It was such a wonderful day!!!!


No comments: