Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My new job

No, I haven't quit the BFC yet. I have taken on a new role. I like to train on my lunch hour. For some reason, my favorite route right now involves crossing 8 lanes of traffic before I land safely on a sidewalk. I used to walk in boring 1.3 mile circles around our building; however construction has made this a treacherous hike, so I chose to move offsite. With this move comes awesome responsibility: giving directions to hopelessly lost people.



In the past 3 weeks, I have helped 6 different people negotiate the complex ramblings of Metroform. It's a stupid name for a horrible section of complicated roads. These roads aren't even on GPS (right, Nothing Knew?). Since this is the road that the hospital is on, there are boatloads of medical plazas. Apparently I know them all. Today was more special than any other day though. After I helped an elderly couple find the complex near the blood bank, I thought I was done. I finished my walk out and turned around. I ended up following a woman in street clothes for about 1/2 mile before she waved at me. I turned off my iPod and she asked me she if she was walking in the right direction. She took the wrong bus and wasn't sure where she was. As luck would have it, her destination was along the road back to work. It was nice to have someone to walk with and it gave me more energy. Because I was chatting with this woman, I didn't notice how tired I was anymore - I completed a hard workout of 4.6 miles before work and this was just a "light" 3.25 miles to get the kinks out. It was nice to have a walking partner, even for a short time.

No comments: