Friday, June 6, 2008

Relay for life


Tonight hubby and I walked our portion of the Relay for Life. This is a unique experience because it starts at 6 and goes to 9AM tomorrow. Each team puts at least one teammate on the track the whole time. Our team Fukudome (didn't pick it, don't know why it was picked, and yes, it is the name of a baseball player, BUT, cut this word into 4 pieces and you'll understand why I can't say it without giggling.) raised a lot of money. I believe the equivilant to $150 per person. I raised $70 and hubby raised $50. He and I were assigned 6-8, which we completed by walking around the warning track of Frawley Stadium. It was a bit emotional, as are all these types of events. I knew I couldn't handle the luminary ceremony, so we ducked out shortly after we finished at 8, with a respectable 4+ miles to our names.


After a wonderful dinner at Iron Hill Brewery, we walked back to the car only to hear the song 'There's holes in the floors of heaven.' That song always makes me cry, even before we lost Karen. We came out at the part when the daughter is getting married and her father tells her he wishes her mom could see her. Her reply to her father is that "there are holes in the floor of heaven and her tears are pouring down. That's how you know she's watching wishing she could be here now." It just plain hurts.


No comments: