Thursday, May 29, 2008

Climbing Mt Everest

I decided to go for the ultimate training challenge - climb Everest. Being the wimp that I am, I also decided not to brave the elements and climb Everest in my own way - by climbing flights of stairs. Now, this apparently isn't an original idea. I was able to find several websites where someone has taken the time to figure out how many flights of stairs it takes to get to the summit. I printed the first one I found, mainly because it had a really cool picture of the mountain. After reviewing other ones, I decided I really liked this one because it only had me climbing 1,452 flights of stairs. These crazy people calculated 3,871 flights of stairs. I can definitely see me reaching 1,452, but over 3K seems a bit unreasonable right now.

I have always assumed a flight of stairs was 13 steps. With few exceptions, I count 13 in every flight I climb. With further research, I see some people have calculated a flight of stairs to be anywhere from 10-20 steps. I am sticking with my assumption of 13, since there are 13 in each flight I climb at work. This includes the 8 flights in the parking garage and the 1 flight up to the boonies parking lot. I'm just looking for a goal - not perfection. I think if I can climb over a thousand flights of stairs, I'll be happy. Maybe then I can shoot for the 3,871. Who knows? I may end up climbing to the moon.

No comments: