Friday, November 28, 2008

Really fun Black Friday



After breezing through Target, I decided to have some fun with the kids. Back when I used to enjoy the holidays, we used to have dinner at Turkey Swamp Park. It's a great place, and appropriately named for the holiday. Everyone would bring a dish, work together to put the meal together. There was always a nice fire going and after dinner we would occasionally roast marshmallows. Ok - I now realize it was a logistical nightmare to coordinate this, but it made for awesome childhood memories. I didn't know anyone else who rented the shelter in a park and had a wonderful Thanksgiving.



So the kids and I took off for the park. We hit the playground, which is way more awesome than the one they used to have when I was a kid. Then I dragged them on a hike around the lake - or is it a pond? It seems to have shrunk since I grew up. I promised them a stop on the other side to play on a different playground. Depending on what part of the hike, S thought it was either really awesome or a death march. We ran through grassy patches, played shadow tag, chewed on teaberry leaves (used to flavor wintergreen mints), tracked deer, and just plain had fun. And S has officially learned how to pump his legs on a swing, so I didn't quite know what to do while they were on the swings. It was a beautiful, though cold, day. I had fun telling the kids that I learned how to ice skate on the pond. They'll probably never skate on a pond because I'll never buy them skates. Their feet will grow before it ever freezes enough to use them.



So we ended the adventure at Panera with lunch with my mom who had to work today. The good news is my grandmother is doing awesome. She'll probably be released tomorrow. Trinks and I visited her and then arrived back at my parents' house. We were supposed to go to the beach, but ended up at the Christmas store buying wreaths and garlands. It's almost time to leave for the lobster dinner at my sister's house. I'm looking forward to the leftovers from yesterday.

No comments: