Sunday, November 2, 2008

Getting the hang of this Recession/Depression thing

I impressed myself. I convinced my stubborn hubby that we needed to roast a chicken. He hates chicken on the bone and dark meat. While dark meat isn't my favorite, I'll eat it, and the kids will eat drumsticks. With the price of boneless/skinless chicken breast skyrocketing, I am willing to try something else. Plus, chicken on the bone has a better flavor.

So we roasted a chicken in the convection part of the microwave, and an hour later, we had dinner. It was wonderful. I even made mashed potatoes and rolls and green beans. After dinner, I proceeded to pick it clean, throw water on the carcass and simmered it for hours. We now have homemade chicken stock! I emptied the fridge of old veggies and they simmered right along with the chicken. I can't wait until I get back from Houston to make a proper soup.

With this economy, I need to relearn the lessons of my youth. Learning how to stretch food just makes good sense. I've gotten away from my roots! This is the stuff I watched my grandparents and parents do. I guess I didn't realize money was tight back then, too.

No comments: