Thursday, November 27, 2008

Must fight urge to overspend

Over the past several months, hubby and I have been on a mission to reduce unnecessary spending. Part is due to the economy and the other part is we really want to save a lot more money than we are. It's not a dire situation; just fine tuning a decent system. I think we are finally making great progress. Several children's movies recently came out. Previously, I would have bought them (from Amazon) as soon as they came out. This year, I flung those movies on the kids' wish list. If we don't get them, eventually they will arrive on Netflix or the library. Savings - about $50. I am finally getting over the child having a tantrum feeling of giving in to instant gratification. I can wait to get things after great thought.

Tomorrow (or 45 minutes from now) is Black Friday. I am venturing out to a higher end discount store to finish up my shopping. I have a handful of things I'll buy later, but I think I can finish most everything this weekend. The problem with Black Friday is I am looking through flyers, which I don't see anymore since I cancelled the newspaper. Now I see all the STUFF that's out there. I am actually considering a mad dash through the aisles of several stores to get the "perfect" holiday presents. Ok - time to get back in the zone. I just don't need a lot more crap (and it all is crap since I don't need any of it) in my house. I hope I can retain my focus tomorrow and get what I need (I have a list) and return to my parents to take my kids to the local park. It will probably be deserted.

No comments: