Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kung Foo Fighting

Trinks tested for her belt this week, just as my computer was being fixed. I've been itching to write about it because I am so proud of her. Trinks has been studying kung foo for three months now and I am in awe of my child. Here and there I have caught portions of her classes. She's amazing. And yes, I am biased. I am amazed at how patient the instructors are, and how they know how to get the best performances out of the kids.

There were three sections of the test. For Endurance, she had to do sit ups for two minutes. These were knees up, elbows to your knees type up sit ups. Then she had to do a series of push ups - first ones were standard, the second ones we a variation on one handed push ups. Wow - she nailed them both!! She had to stand in a couple of different poses, completely still for set times. I found out she actually CAN be still. Then she had to do kicks - you know, the high kind. She had to kick into her hand, up front, to the side - nothing I could have imagined doing when I was seven. At the end, she had to do the kung foo form. She has been practicing this religiously and did very well. Overall, her score was 94. For endurance, she scored 100, for technical, she scored 88, and for form she scored a 94. Now she is a yellow white belt. Her next test in in February to earn a full yellow belt.

This after school program is the best money I have spent on her education since I sent her to private kindergarten. I can't wait to get S in the program. He is going to be observed this year in buddy days and parents' nights out to see if they will accept him in summer camp. He's a bit young at 4, but the staff knows him and think he might do well. He needs to work on his self confidence and learn to tell Trinks to pound sand when she tries to speak for him.

No comments: