Saturday, August 2, 2008

Expo

I attended the Breast Cancer 3 Day Expo today in King of Prussia. At 5:30 AM I was brewing coffee in my travel mug, ready to jump in the car so I didn't miss the start of the walk. I haven't paid attention to watched the weather in a while. Therefore, I was surprised when we were told (via a small woman with a large bullhorn) to calmly leave the track and head to the auditorium because there was lightening. By then the thunder was pretty loud, so we did what we were told. Forty five minutes later, we were able to start our walk. I did about 9 miles all together, so it wasn't all bad.

I ended up walking with a great group of women. Their friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, stage 2, recently and she is currently going through chemo. They all decided to walk to support her. She has no idea how she's going to feel in October, but she is steadily training when chemo hasn't knocked her down. I was in awe of her courage and dedication. And her friends were really fun, too. I hope I catch up with them at the walk.

We were pampered during the walk. The pit stop had snacks, water, scary blue sport beverage, and fruit. Then the crazy crew people cheered us on every time we passed them. They are the BEST! There were even real cheerleaders cheering for us as we approached the school. Mocha Frap (please come up with something to call you because I will not call you Nothing Knew's wife), our personal crew member, was on hand to sign people up at the door and make sure they had paper work. It was great to see her and we actually had some time to chat!

This walk is going to be wonderful, hard, amazing, tough and emotional. I will sign the rememberence tent in memory of Karen, and post a note of encouragement for Kathi. And just for the record, I will not make friends with anyone else with a name starting with K.

1 comment:

Breast Cancer 3-Day said...

So glad you were able to experience the Expo!

As event season draws closer, we'd love it if you'd share pre- and on-event photos and/or videos on the official Breast Cancer 3-Day Flickr group, YouTube channel, Facebook fan page or MySpace page.