Monday, October 20, 2008

Humbled

I'll be posting throughout the day about my awesome experience at the 3 Day. It was incredible and I have a lot of stories. I also have some pictures, but I have to recharge the batteries to download.

Prior to the event, I kept tracking the top fundraisers to see how much they raised. You see, the top fundraiser gets a tent you can stand up in and a queen air mattress on a platform. This is otherwise know as heaven after walking all day. I aspire to get that tent one day. I followed the story of this woman. Check out her family picture, her story and even the beautiful jewelry her friend makes to help her fundraise.

Then imagine that you are seated with a couple thousand people, listening to her tell her story. She found a lump at 24 and her dr told her to go home because she was too young for it to be anything. Are you screaming yet? Then she found a lump under her arm and the dr decided to take it out and discovered cancer. She went through chemo and 35 radiation treatments (that's every day for 5 weeks). She was cancer free for almost 5 years when it came back in her sternum. Further test results indicated it was in her liver. From what I have read, cancer in the liver is a death sentence.

This brave woman got up in front of us and wasn't bitter. She was inspirational, and happy and upbeat. She was a warrior. She was fighting for her life! She was fighting for a better future for her 2 year old daughter. And she was walking. It doesn't look like she has the endurance she once had because she was being pushed in a wheelchair for the time we shared the trail. It looked like her team, who joined together to raise just under $69,000, took turns pushing her. It was a tribute to them because I had a hard time navigating on the uneven, broken sidewalks. I can't imagine how these wonderful people managed to pushed her. The power of love and support really goes a long way.

4 comments:

Nothing Knew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nothing Knew said...

So who was the top fundraiser? And are there pictures of this mythical tent?

A Pocket Full of Posey said...

didn't you click on "this woman"? It's Allison's page with her story. I don't have a picture of the tent, but I'm sure it will be in the pictures which will be release next week. http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PL_Info

Nothing Knew said...

I did click on the link...I guess I missed that this was the person who was the top fundraiser. I thought you were just pointing out one of the people who was A top fundraiser.

Thanks for clarification.