Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cars

I got my car delivered to me at work on Wednesday. The driver was really nice, and I appreciated how the service manager treated me even though I was cranky about the situation. I made an off hand remark that we had to actually wait in line to pay tolls and he filled the gas tank up before delivering it to me. Classy. It makes sense. We have two Hondas, one which is 11 years old. While we intend to keep that car for 4-5 years more, we may get another Honda (civic coupe) when we get rid of it. He saved his dealership's reputation by accommodating a crazy woman.

But the most fascinating part of this whole thing is we didn't drive the Accord while the Odyssey was away. We only drove the loaner car, which was a Kia Sedona. For the last two years, hubs and I carpool whenever possible because we can earn and extra $40 per month from work for each of us if we carpool 15 days a month. An extra $80 a month doesn't seem like a lot, but last summer it was a tank of gas with a little change.

It's not easy carpooling. I can't sing off key at the top of my voice to get my blood pumping. Hubs hates to get out of bed, so he makes us late. Running the kids to 2 different places takes time. But somehow we make it work, to the point we barely use the second car. If we lived in an area with places near by to walk to, or good public transportation, I would consider living with one car. It would save a ton of money.

No comments: