Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Father's Days

This article struck a nerve with me. I agree that Father's Day is the often forgotten holiday. Daycare rarely does anything special for the dads because so many kids are being raised by single mothers. It truly makes me sick that fathers are depicted as bumbling idiots on TV. They can't remember to put the lid on the blender, the wife comes in with a condescending smile and calls Stanley Steamer. The husband can't spend a day alone with the kids and fix a healthy meal for them. All he can do is lament, "Where is your mother?"

My husband cooks better than I can. He takes the kids to the grocery store. He can be alone with the kids for a week when I travel on business and they are well fed, emotionally well adjusted, and adequately rested. Do they miss me? Sure. But they can handle being home alone with Dad and having fun with him. His kind of fun is different from mine. He plays blast off with the kids. If I'm in the car for Blast off, I get nauseated. Bedtime includes learning lyrics to Rush songs. He lets them watch more TV than I do. The list goes on.

So what am I getting hubs for Fathers' Day? Today we went out to Iron Hill for lunch because we won't be home tomorrow. I tried to get hubs some sandals, but he can't seem to find "the right ones". We do have cards, so I guess that's going to have to suffice.

No comments: