Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Goals

Before I get to the goals, can I cross "find mouse" off if I bought a mouse for the other computer (which I managed to kill in less than 24 hours of opening the box)? While you ponder that question, here are my ideas for this year.

Health. I plan to work on my overall health this year. My numbers are great - cholesterol 143 (ratio is off because the LDLs are 40) and my glucose is 85 whether I am fasting or not. My blood pressure is creeping up from the standard 110/70 and I want to keep it back in the safe zone. My weight, of course, needs some work. So to accomplish better overall health and deal with some food sensativities, I am eliminating processed foods from my diet. I have been feeling like absolute crap lately and I have pinpointed it to after I eat gluten, white sugar, eggs and corn syrup. The symptoms aren't too specific, but random radiating pain, joint aches and muscle fatigue seem to sum it up. The key is, the symptoms go away when I eliminate these things from my diet. If they stuck around, it would be a different plan of attack, such as SEE A DOCTOR FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Over the last year or so, I have done a TON of reading. No one author really fit with what I hoped to accomplish. Dr. Mark Hyman has great books about inflamation, but I don't like some of his food suggestions. The raw movement is great, but I can't stay on it indefinitely. I love how I feel with the green shakes and salads full of colorful vegetables. I just need some cooked meat or sauteed veggies every once in a while. Doug Kaufman and Leann Ely have plans that seems to incorporate what I need and can continue for the rest of my life. So today I chopped, cooked, and chopped some more so I have a week's worth of breakfast and lunches ready for my lunch box. It's good food - a nice veggie soup in a chicken broth with a salad for lunch, quinoa with bluberries and almond milk for breakfast. I'll throw some green shakes in for fun. There is supposed to be a variety for all meals, but I have to do the same all week in order to get it all done. I'll change is up next week. Dinners are simple meals that the whole family will like, such as chicken and apples, Jambalaya, and Mediterranean chicken. Tuesday remains sandwich night for them, so they won't suffer too much. I'll see how this goes and tweak it as I get a better idea of where I want to go.

Hubs wants to improve his health, too. He mentioned that his clothes are getting tight too. We discussed what his approach is going to be. He's fond of the processed low cal food and has been successful with losing weight that way. So we got him his Rice Crispies and skim milk and deli meat and salad. For once we are working on this project together and can work together when one of us feels weak.

Finance As usual, we have some financial goals. After I paid off the car 3 years early, I lost my focus. Now I need to focus to kick the Home Equity Loan to the curb this year. Debt makes me really nervous, so the mortgage is the next target. It's a small amount each month, but I hate being in a position of owing someone! With one child in private school and another probably going there next year, it will be a challenge. But I love Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman and Gail Vaz Oxlade. Their words of wisdom and awesome shows and podcasts will help me refocus on getting out of debt.

Education Trinks needs a new school. Her cirriculum is weak and will not prepare her for middle school. I need a new school for 5th grade (or sooner)and then I will be happy with the 6-8 school. They finally let kids get left behind in middle school, so she can get in tracked classes. Her standardized test scores indicate she'll be in advanced math and reading. She has had no homework in math and no book reports or research report for any subject. She will die in middle school without these skills. If she gets too overwhelmed, she'll stop trying. I currently supplement her crappy homework. I had to beg the teacher for help. He's wonderful and probably thinks I am a nutcase. But in my defense, he sent home the wrong report card and almost gave me a nervous breakdown. I didn't know how I could have been so out of touch with my child's grades.

My education goal is to complete my Tax Ceritifaction. No, I don't want to go to class anymore. I learned that I would have to reimburse my company for the class I took and decided I can suck it up and go to class for the next 1.5 years. I'm too cheap to drop out. It should look good on a resume. If my pay doesn't start matching my skill, I'll need a strong resume.

I have some random house and family goals, but I haven't fleshed them out. They include getting more involved in scouts and kung fu. Perhaps hubs and I will join the kids? I plan to continue to declutter and become a minimalist. Who knows where this year will take us. I have the framework. We'll see what we can accomplish.

No comments: