Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Things I learned spending 3 days at home

I am in the middle of my third and final bereavement day for my grandmother. Day one was spent in NJ at the brief, but very nice funeral. After the luncheon, was shopping and the miserable eye appointment - still waiting for my new glasses. Not being allowed to wear contacts is just plain pissing me off. I am missing a nose piece and I fear I will have a permanent scar where the metal is scraping my nose. Yesterday I decluttered a bit - very therapeutic and cheaper than renting a dumpster and throwing out everything except the furniture and my toothbrush. I also found a funny as hell blog about a father raising 6 kids. I laughed out loud more times than I could count. So what did I learn by spending this much time at home?

1. Netflix through the Wii is freaking awesome. I can sit here and load my instant watch queue and it really is on instantly. We've been doing this for a while, but having this much time off at a time, it's been fun to run through the first 2 seasons of Waiting For God. Hilarious.

2. The secret to creating the best spreadable butter ever is to use less olive oil than butter. I also used regular olive oil because the extra virgin olive oil turns the spread green. And I'm sure you want to know why I make my own spreadable butter. It's not about cost. I just hate chemicals and the Country Crocks, etc are chock full of them. I don't use butter often, so I would like a quality product when I do indulge.

3. If I stayed home, I would eat junk food all the time. Yesterday I indulged in donuts and combos. I tried to drink Dunkin Donuts coffee, but stubborn me tried to carry all 5 bags from the car at the same time. Let's just say the kitchen floor is super clean now. I have recovered from the horrific food yesterday and my body appreciates the greens. At least tomorrow I have to plan out my food and only carry what I will eat.

4. Housework really doesn't take as much time as I think it does. It really only takes 2 minutes or less to unload the dishwasher. It took 10 minutes to clean out the fridge, including rinsing out the containers to be recycled. I am getting ready to vacuum the stairs and upstairs hallway on the way to take my 2nd dose of antibiotics. I'll be done in about 5-7 minutes. It's taken me all this time for Flylady's lessons to sink in.

5. I can't be home and not want to do laundry. Problem? There is no laundry to be done. I know - wtf?????

6. Cats are super lazy.

7. The iPod is the greatest invention in the world.

So those are some of my lessons learned this week.

No comments: