Thursday, March 11, 2010

If you don't know the words to the hymn, sing louder

Today I was in a beautiful church with a very talented choir. We were there for a funeral for a family friend who died on Sunday. He fought leukemia for three years and died from viral pneumonia. The services were wonderful and the eulogy was awesome. The songs were great and the choir was phenomenal. The lady behind us decided she knew several of the words, so she could sing too. She was loud, off key and stumbled over a few hymns. Every time she didn't know the words, she hummed or made up the words very loudly. I'm sure I will go to hell, but it was pretty funny. I also told my mother "May the force be with you" when we were sharing the peace. At least I think it's called that. Although my mother was amused, I'm sure that's another thing I am going to hell for.

Today I also realized yet again how strong the ties are to my old neighborhood. I haven't lived there since I was 5, but our neighbors were a tightknit group who still get together all these years later. No one lives on Stilwell Place anymore. We kids ran around the neighborhood in a pack and rarely got in bad trouble. Not sure if my parents knew about the ding dong ditch we would play when we slept over at Carrie's house, but all the pranks were harmless. All the kids came home for the viewings and funeral. While it was incredibly sad, it was nice to see everyone. My parents are keeping the family fed and more importantly, supplying wine.

No comments: