Thursday, February 11, 2010

candle lit dinner with wine

Doesn't it sound romantic? It wasn't really, but the kids put on a great show, dancing in the candle light. We lost power just after 10:30 AM. I only had ONE cup of coffee! Usually the power comes back up in an hour or less, so we picked up books, took naps, wrestled each other. Three hours later we realized it wasn't coming back soon and called the power company. There were several explosions, several flashes of light, but no power was restored.

I was impressed that the kids took all this in stride and kept themselves occupied. S found his DS, Trinks read, drew pictures and danced. We hung out, told stories and had fun. Hubs was cranky, but I don't think he completely hated the day. We lit the menorah for light and a little fun and called the grandparents to wish them a happy Hannukkah. We had turkey and cheese sandwiches for lunch and dinner since we couldn't cook. The kids went to bed together to keep warm, although the temperature in the house didn't get below 50. S wouldn't even keep his sweatshirt on because he was warm. As an interesting change, hubs was freezing and I was very warm. He even put on sweatpants over his shorts - amazing.

We went to bed early, so we can't pinpoint when the power officially came back on, but it looks like it was 11PM. We survived 12 hours without power. Thank goodness it wasn't summer or we would have lost everything in the fridge and freezer. I think I've used up most of my candles from all the candle parties I used to go to. The house smells like vanilla and cranberry - yum.

So now that I have confirmed the kids have no place to go, and we are still covered by the state of emergency, I can go back to bed. YAWN! A day of doing nothing really makes me sleepy.

No comments: