Friday, July 3, 2009

Boston Myths

I was told several things about Boston before we left.

1. Boston drivers are Massholes. I found this to be false. I had more issues with the idiots in Connecticut who couldn't drive 5 miles without running into one another.

2. There are only Duncan Donuts, no Starbucks in Boston. I found this false as well. I couldn't walk one block without running into a Starbucks. For every Duncan Donuts I saw, there were two Starbucks. Within a 1 block radius of our Hotel (Parker House at the corner of Tremont and School), there were four Starbucks.

3. Parking is impossible. Didn't even try to find out about this one. We parked the car on the first day and got it back this AM when we left.

4. A GPS doesn't work in Boston. I found this to be true. Damn Garmin doesn't work, doesn't recognize streets, and got us trapped in an alley when we tried to get to the hotel. I spent most of the ride home screaming at it because it wanted to take us over the George Washington Bridge. We wanted the far more scenic Tappen Zee bridge. Thank goodness for real live maps. And thank goodness it was a really nice, easy ride home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a different experience than we had last year. I rarely found a Starbucks and saw 3 times as many Dunkin Donuts (whose coffee I won't drink.)

A Pocket Full of Posey said...

Everyone I talked to told me that there were only Dunkin Donuts in Boston. I was shocked that Starbucks outnumbered them. Maybe it was the streets we walked down because they didn't look new. I just drank the cheap coffee in the room, except for one afternoon in Quincy Market.