Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I need more sleep

First indication I need more sleep is how I overreacted (SHOCKING) to Trinks' MAP scores. Keep in mind, I didn't freak over her actual scores. I was just beyond confused as to what the hell they mean. It was a page of raw data with minimal explanation. I jotted a long note to the teacher explaining I had no idea what it meant, and the - here's the complete overreaction - I SENT A NOTE TO THE COMPANY WHO CREATED THE DAMN TEST AND ASKED THEM TO DECODE THE RESULTS. I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but this stuff from NWEA makes no sense. After a call from the reading teacher and a detailed e-mail from tech support (both think I am a complete idiot, I'm sure), I am sure of only one thing. These tests are complete and utter bullshit. Trinks did really well, especially in math, but I don't know what to do with the scores.

The ONLY nice thing I will say about this test is it gave a lexile range. Yup - took the teacher explaining this 3 times before I realized it was a fancy name for READING LEVEL. Don't care about the level, but this website will give you book suggestions for the number you type in. Pretty cool. There are over 1,000 books in the 659-700 range. Finally, a tool I understand.

No comments: