Monday, July 26, 2010

I walk alone

Yup - alone in a sea of 3,000 other people. And I know one person walking with her mother. She'll be the one in pink.

I'm talking about my 4th Breast Cancer 3 Day walk. My walking partner isn't able to walk with me this year and it's a bit too late to guilt someone into walking with me. Walking alone, while initially terrifying, is completely liberating. I don't have to tell anyone I have to pee - I can just go without worrying about annoying anyone. I can take a nap at lunch it I want to and not worry about holding anyone up. Neither of these things happened before, but I am trying to psych myself up for this. The best thing is I get to camp with the crazy people known as the crew. They work hard and are always smiling and helpful. My tentmate is a tent decorating queen and I look forward to getting a ribbon for the best decorated tent. I believe all I have to contribute are a few training bras and a flag. Can't wait to see what we get this year.

So in between psyching myself for the walk, I have been training. I'm happy that I started early this year because the humidity is killing my lungs. I can't walk when the air is thick because I can't breathe. Even with my inhaler, my lungs BURN! I was able to kick out a few walks while in RI, but I just couldn't do much more. This AM I was able to get 4 miles in before I go into work late. The air quality was near perfect and my lungs didn't burn. I'll drag my lazy ass out of bed to walk again tomorrow to take advantage of this rare event. I'm hoping we get the nice humidity-free air when we hit Galway in a few weeks. I like to do some nice, long walks when we're there. I know I can do the walking - I just need to get some good numbers up there before the event.

No comments: