Sunday, July 18, 2010

Am I being paranoid?

Trinks is really offended that I make her ride in a booster seat and she is 9 years old. She's also 87 pounds. Why do I force her to ride in a booster seat when all of her friends are out of one? (And for the record, she was rear facing for 15 months.) We went to the Da Vinci Science Museum last year when I was getting ready to remove the booster seat. One of the displays mentioned children should be in booster seats until they are 4'9". Trinks is now about 4'6". Since she's begging me, I spent some time researching the issue.

This link confirms the 4'9" recommendation. But I checked how the seatbelt hits Trinks when she is not in a booster seat and it does hit her shoulder. I admit I am not consistent with making her use a booster. For the ride to her after school program, she is not in a booster. She was actually in a hit and run accident (the third car accident she's been in) in that vehicle, but thankfully no one was hurt. So I guess I can't wrap her in bubble wrap for the rest of her life. If hubs ever wakes up, we can discuss what to do next.

2 comments:

LRNs said...

The NHTSA website says until 4'9". She's not tall enough.

Children - from about age 4 to at least age 8
Once children outgrow their forward-facing seats (usually around age 4 and 40 pounds), they should ride in booster seats, in the back seat, until the vehicle seat belts fit properly. Seat belts fit properly when the lap belt lays across the upper thighs and the shoulder belt fits across the chest (usually at age 8 or when they are 4’9” tall).

A Pocket Full of Posey said...

I know. I just seem like the only parent holding back. I found a picture the cements the deal on shoulder placement. It is hitting her shoulder correctly, so I think we're going to let her go booster free. The state law is 6 years old AND 60 pounds. NJ makes more sense and has it set at 8 years old AND 80 pounds.

Ugh - parenting is tough!!!!